This data is taken directly from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/
There are three main types of distraction (texting and phoning encompasses all three):
- Visual: taking your eyes off the road;
- Manual: taking your hands off the wheel; and
- Cognitive: taking your mind off of driving.
How big is the problem?
At 55 mph, the average text takes your eyes off the road long enough to cover a football field
- In 2013, 3,154 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver, compared to 3,328 in 2012.1,4
- In 2013, 424,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving a distracted driver, an almost 10% increase since 2011.
- In 2013, nearly one in five crashes (18%) in which someone was injured involved distracted driving
We want you to stay in good condition so that you can continue to pay your dues!! 😉